Last Bastion - Sketches of the Maltese Islands
Title Last Bastion - Sketches of the Maltese Islands
Author Eric Brockman
ISBN 99932-10-24-2 (hard cover)
Price € 28.00
Written in 1961, Last Bastion describes the eventful history of Malta that is still very much alive in its buildings and its customs. Captain Brockman first came to Malta in 1927 and married a Maltese woman in the following year. He was frequently stationed in Malta and made his acquaintance with the Islands as with a picturesque and exotic region. His was a lively interest in people and in vanishing customs. Eventually he stayed long enough to know Malta as a second homeland and was himself a Knight of Malta.
Captain Eric Brockman was born in Plymouth in 1905 and joined the Royal Navy in 1922. He was Captain of HMS Phoenicia (Manoel Island, Malta) from 1954-1957. He has also written a number of short stories and several monographs on the history and politics of the Knights of Malta.
- Chapter I - First Impressions (p.3)
- Chapter II - Leisure (p.27)
- Chapter III - The Knights (p.119)
- Chapter IV - The Sovereign Order as a Naval Power (p.159)
- Chapter V - Things that go Bump (p.179)
- Chapter VI - Race and Language (p.201)
- Chapter VII - Festa - 1926 (p.223)
- Chapter VIII - Songs (p.239)
Back to Overview